Entrepreneurial Institute

Welcome Azade Hosseini: New Venture Associate

Stay up to date on upcoming events, deadlines, news, and more by signing up for our newsletters!

Please join us in welcoming the newest member of our team – Venture Associate Azade Hosseini, PhD! In her new role, Hosseini will lead investments on behalf of the NYU Innovation Fund in life sciences and healthcare, and provide coaching to startups.

Azade completed her postdoctoral training at MIT, and earned her PhD in Chemistry from Boston College. She has worked in business development and operations for a number of venture-backed health and climate tech startups. Previously, she was Head of Business Development at the public-private accelerator Innouvo, where she built global innovation ecosystems, sourced deals for pharma companies, and helped scale >30 pre-seed to Series A stage startups. Prior to that, Azade was Senior Scientist at BioNTech (previously Neon Therapeutics).

Learn more about the newest addition to our team below:

Tell us a little about yourself. How did you end up at the NYU Entrepreneurial Institute?

My journey to the NYU Entrepreneurial Institute has been a blend of purpose and passion. Though I come from a traditional technical background, I’ve always been drawn to entrepreneurship and found myself increasingly intrigued by the process of turning innovative ideas into thriving businesses. During my time as a biotech R&D scientist, I had an opportunity to pivot into a role that would allow me to work closely with startups, and since then, I’ve been able to support several founders as they navigate the challenges of scaling their ventures. I’m also motivated to bridge the gap between the technical and business aspects of entrepreneurship, and believe that we’re uniquely positioned to do that as a world-class research institution.

What draws you to working in entrepreneurship, innovation, and VC?

What draws me to working in entrepreneurship, innovation, and VC is the opportunity to deliver tangible value by solving real problems in the market. Whether it’s improving health outcomes for patients or enhancing experiences for customers, the essence of our work lies in creating a positive impact in people’s lives. I also believe that entrepreneurship is a great equalizer, welcoming those with the boldness, resourcefulness, and drive to pursue their vision, regardless of their background.

Which aspect of your new role are you most excited to tackle?

This is a tough one because there are so many aspects of my new role that excite me! If I had to choose, I’d say I’m most thrilled about the opportunity to connect with passionate entrepreneurs and innovators, guiding them through the ups and downs of their journey, and witnessing their growth firsthand. There’s nothing quite like the energy and excitement of helping someone turn their vision into reality, and I can’t wait to dive in and be a part of that process.

What do you like to do during your free time outside of the Institute?

During my free time, you’ll often find me outside on a hiking trail or close to a body of water, soaking up the beauty of the great outdoors. Nature has this incredible ability to soothe the soul and provide perspective, reminding me of the interconnectedness of all living things and our responsibility to cherish and protect our planet.

Which well-known entrepreneur or investor would you host as a dinner party guest?

If I could host any entrepreneur as a dinner party guest, it would be Surbhi Sarna, the founder and former CEO of nVision Medical, a medical device company focused on enabling the early detection of ovarian cancer. Surbhi launched her company after experiencing her own health issues, and has been very open about her entrepreneurial journey — from early inception of the idea, to the challenges she faced in fundraising and product development, all the way up to the $275M acquisition by Boston Scientific. I think she’s an inspiration and I’m glad to see that she’s now dedicating her time to helping other founders as a current Group Partner at YC.

Share a fun fact about yourself!

I’m incredibly passionate about helping animals in need. For the past few years, I’ve been fostering shelter pets, providing them with a safe and loving environment while they await their forever homes. It’s deeply rewarding to see them flourish and find their second chance. Fostering also helps shelters free up resources and space to rescue more animals. I encourage anyone with the time and resources to consider volunteering with their local animal shelter. It’s a small act that can make such a big difference in the lives of these furry friends.

NYU faculty, PhDs, postdocs, researchers, and graduate students: Book a startup coaching session with Azade today!

Related