Startup of the Week

A Space for BIPOC Film Creatives to Collaborate and Find Work with Melacast

Stay up to date on upcoming events, deadlines, news, and more by signing up for our newsletters!

Every week, the NYU Entrepreneurial Institute elects a Startup of the Week. We invite the founders of these startups to share a blog post with our community. These posts can be inspirational, educational, or entertaining. 

This blog post was written by Ewurakua Dawson-Amoah (Tisch '20), Founder of The Melacast Network.

The Melacast Network is a casting and crewing platform built by BIPOC film creatives, for BIPOC film creatives. The idea for Melacast came about in 2018, when founder, Ewurakua Dawson-Amoah was a sophomore at NYU. Read below for her account of her founding story:

Photo of the melacast founderI wrote a short film script with Ghanaian sisters as the lead roles. My school gave us access to 2 major casting websites. I posted my listing and checked back each day. As listings poured in, I realized there was a huge problem with diversity on these platforms. After two months of scouring acting platforms with no luck, I ended up recasting the parts. My story changed completely. The food, the house, the conversations. I completely compromised my vision and was left with a film that I simply could not connect with. This process was especially difficult because before coming to NYU I made myself a promise: To create films that always highlighted people that looked like me, in lead, three-dimensional roles that challenged the norm. Growing up I never saw Black people on the screen, and I became a director to change that narrative.

After sharing my experiences with some of my friends, I was directed to a small group of other BIPOC directors that experiences the same exact thing – lack of diversity on casting platforms that forced them to change and compromise their films. Many had begun to believe that perhaps BIPOC creatives just “weren’t out there”. But I knew the issue was deeper. The problem isn’t that BIPOC creatives don’t exist, the problem is that there isn’t a place for us to gather within existing systems.

Though the experience was difficult, it was a blessing in disguise. I realized how badly the film community needed a space for creatives of color to collaborate, gather and find set work. So came Melacast!”

Photo of the Melacast Network founder and participants, laughing and sitting on a sofa

Related