Summer Launchpad runs all day Monday through Friday, from June 11th—August 10th, 2018. A detailed schedule for the program is forthcoming. Teams who haven’t completed the J-Term Startup Sprint will also be required to participate in the Summer Startup Sprint from May 30th-June 8th.
PLEASE NOTE: This program is NOT for credit. However, (just like a startup) it REQUIRES a full-time commitment during the program.
Get ready for a 9-week accelerator to help you set and meet your customer acquisition, product development, and team milestones, and to launch your venture full-time. Here’s a preview of what’s in store:
- Mentorship: Mentorship from experienced entrepreneurs, offering boardroom-style feedback from a dedicated advisory council of VCs and subject-matter experts.
- Founder Unplugged: Weekly talks from preeminent NYC founders and Venture Capitalists. Talks from 2017 included Fred Wilson from Union Square Ventures; Carley Roney (Tisch), co-founder of the XO Group; Jason Finger (Stern & Law), co-founder of Seamless; and Nate Silver, founder of FiveThirtyEight.com.
- Workshops: Led by experts across the NYU and NYC startup communities, workshops will teach relevant skills in finance and capital raising, customer acquisition, product development, business operations, and other topics selected to help you succeed in your venture.
- Customer development: Get closer to product-market fit through customer validation by “Getting out of the Building” and talking directly to prospective users, customers, and partners.
- Design Sprint: Learn how to run iterative experiments to build your MVPs during a Design Sprint.
- Accelerator and Angel Investor Office Hours: Office hours with numerous later-stage accelerators, angel, and seed-stage investors throughout the program.
- Community: You’ll work alongside and learn from a community of NYU startup founders and fellow SLP participants.
- Yale-NYU Pitchoff: A pitch showdown where six teams from NYU and Yale present to a live audience of 200 of their closest friends, but only one will take home a ridiculously large trophy!
- Venture Showcase: Showcase and get feedback on your venture from NYU friends and family and members of the public.
- Demo Day: For select teams, this is an opportunity to pitch to angel investors and others.
Each team will receive funding and perks to put toward their venture, including:
- Funding: $10,000 in zero-equity, non-dilutive grant funding toward your venture.
- Cloud Computing: $10,000 in Amazon Web Services credits for participation in the program.
- Coaching and Mentorship: One-on-one office hours with Venture Capitalists, Angel Investors, and expert mentors.
- Legal Services: Pro-bono legal guidance from McCarter & English to help you incorporate the right way to kickstart your company.
- Accounting Services: Pro-bono accounting services from Eisner Amper.
- Banking Services: From Silicon Valley Bank.
- Co-working Space: 24/7 access to the Leslie eLab for full-time program participants. Following the program participants will receive reduced-fee office space from WeWork.
- Access to Future Programs: Select teams will be invited to participate in the Ignite Pre-Seed Fellowship, and will have opportunities to meet with later-stage accelerators and incubators to help grow their ventures after completion of Summer Launchpad.
Open to teams of graduating(graduating year 2018 or 2017) NYU undergrad and graduate student entrepreneurs from any school or college, with an early proof of concept/prototype and who has validated problem-solution fit. Ventures addressing ANY sector from ANY NYU school are welcome to apply!
- Team: 2 or more entrepreneurs with at least 1 team member currently at NYU; Don’t have two team members? Find one at the Summer Accelerator Team Hunt on March 19th.
- Graduation Year: Preference given to student or post-doc teams graduating in 2018 (or Fall 2017). Those graduating from NYU after 2018 are welcome to apply, but may also consider applying for the 2018 Summer Startup Sprint, a sister summer accelerator program designed for students still enrolled at NYU in 2018–2019!
- Diverse Team: Preference will be given to well-rounded, multi-disciplinary teams (i.e. representing multiple NYU schools!), and extra consideration will be given to teams with at least one co-founder who is female or represents an underrepresented minority in tech/entrepreneurship.
- Commitment: Committed to your startup full-time (at least 40 hours per week) and to participate in ALL program activities for the nine weeks; and committed to launching your venture full-time after the program.
- Buy-in: Understand the requirements of the program and have an openness to customer development.
First things first, make sure you’re committed to your startup full-time (at least 40 hours per week) and available to participate in ALL program activities for the nine weeks. And remember, at least 1 co-founder must be an NYU student or postdoc!
- Attended an info-session: We want to know you understand what you’re signing up for. Therefore, attendance at an info session is mandatory. Sign up here for a Summer Accelerator info session. Can’t make any info session time? Email us at firstname.lastname@example.org prior to submitting your application.
- Solving a meaningful problem: Through customer discovery, you’re able to show you’ve validated that you’re solving a problem which has the potential to bring substantive and tangible value to customers and other beneficiaries, with potential to scale value/impact to a large market/beneficiary sector.
- Problem-solution fit: You’ve validated the problem you’ve identified through customer discovery and you believe you know how you can solve it (meaning you have problem-solution fit).
- Proof of concept/prototype: We’ll look at your proof of concept, and your plans for how you’ll take your solution to the next level to validate it with customers during Summer Launchpad (getting you to product-market fit).
- Milestones & goals: We’ll consider the milestones you hope to achieve during and after Summer Launchpad, with consideration for how you believe the program will help you achieve your goals.
- Demonstrated passion, coachability, and hustle! Last but not least, we want to see you’re the type of team who benefits from mentorship and coaching, and peer support (why else participate in a cohort-based accelerator?). And we want to see that you have passion and hustle for the problem you’re solving! Therefore, it will greatly increase your chances of acceptance if you’ve participated in other mentorship-intensive programs led by the NYU Entrepreneurial Institute and NYU partners, including the J-Term Startup Sprint, Ignite Fellowships, NYU Healthcare Makerthon (Venture Support), Innovention, $300k Entrepreneurs Challenge, or intensive coaching through the Blackstone LaunchPad at NYU coaching program. If this doesn't describe your team, register for a coaching appointment today!