The next Startup Sprint will be held from January 8th-January 18th, 2019. The program runs all day during the weekdays. A detailed schedule for the program is forthcoming.
PLEASE NOTE: This program is NOT for credit. However, (just like a startup) it REQUIRES a full-time commitment during the program.
What You Can Expect
Teams can expect to start off running with:
- Workshops: Participate in workshops led by experts across the NYU and NYC startup communities
- Founder talks: Learn from those who have been in your shoes
- Customers: Create solutions customers love by “Getting out of the Building” and talking directly to prospective users, customers and partners
- Connections: Meet with VCs, accelerators and more for office hours either during or shortly after the program
- Experimentation: Learn how to run experiments to build your MVPs and prototypes
- Community: Work alongside and learn from a diverse community of NYU startup founders
Benefits You'll Receive
Each team will receive funding and perks to put toward their venture, including:
- Funding: $350 at the start of the program and eligibility for up to $1,500 in follow-on funding for the top three-five teams. All funding is offered in the form of reimbursable expenses.
- Perks: $5K in Amazon Web Services Credits, advice on legal issues and more!
- Ignite Fellowship Spring 2019: The top 3–4 teams from the program will be invited to participate in the Ignite Fellowship for the Spring 2019 semester.
- SLP 2019: The top two-three teams from the program will be guaranteed an invitation to interview for the NYU Summer Launchpad accelerator 2019, to launch their venture full time.
- Food: Lunch each day of the program (plus breakfast some other days) will be provided, plus free coffee all the time.
- Workspace: Co-working space at the Leslie eLab for extended hours.
Who It's For
Open to teams of NYU undergrad and graduate student entrepreneurs from any NYU school or college, with an idea, invention and/or early mock-up or prototype of their product or service. Preference will be given to teams with at least one STEM co-founder who is female or another underrepresented minority in tech/startups.
- Team: 2 or more entrepreneurs able to participate full time in the program, with at least 1 team member currently at NYU; Don’t have two team members? Come to the J-Sprint team hunt on November 9th (see below on this page to RSVP)
- Commitment: Committed to your startup full-time (at least 40 hours per week) for the duration of the two-week program and a passion for the problem you hope to solve (with a plan for how you’ll continue after the program)
- Buy-In: Understand the requirements of the program and have an openness to customer discovery
- A lot of passion, hard work and hustle: Show us that your team has what it takes by meeting with us for coaching appointment and attending a Startup Bootcamp at the Leslie eLab, in ADVANCE of applying. Taking these actions will greatly increase your chance of getting into the program, so get started today!
First things first, we’ll make sure you’re part of a team of at least 2 members. Remember, at least 1 teammate must be a current NYU student! From there, we'll give strong preference to teams who have completed a Startup Bootcamp at the Leslie eLab. Apply to a Startup Bootcamp today to let us get to know you!
A few additional criteria will determine the final selection:
- Diversity: Preference given to teams planning to graduate in 2019 or 2020, with at least 1 female or minority co-founder
- STEM: Some preference given to teams with STEM-centered solutions (Science, Technology, Engineering, and Math)
- Idea and Early Prototype: What is your idea and what have you done/built so far
- Problem Identification: How well does your team understand the problem you hope to solve and the market you hope to address with your venture
- Team Fit: Does your team have the skills and background to build and launch what you hope to create
- Program Fit: How you believe your time in the Startup Sprint will launch your venture into the next phase
- Coaching & Bootcamp: Preference given to teams who have received coaching from an NYU Blackstone LaunchPad coach; Sign up for a coaching appointment here. AND preference to teams who have completed a Startup Bootcamp at the Leslie eLab. Apply to a Startup Bootcamp today to let us get to know you (and so you can get to know us)!