NYU’s seed-stage venture capital fund invests exclusively in startups founded by, and/or commercializing technologies and intellectual property developed by, current NYU students, faculty, and researchers.
Learn more about our investment criteria below.
To request a meeting with our team and be considered for funding, submit a venture profile.SUBMIT PROFILE
Back to Resources
The Fund seeks early stage businesses with inventions, discoveries, products or services that were developed in whole or in part at NYU, that have achieved proof of concept (or a prototype) and are ready for commercial product development. The fund does not invest in projects requiring further basic research.
- Technology has achieved proof of concept or prototype and is ready for commercial product development
- Technology has important and sustainable points of differentiation
- Identifiable customer(s) with a compelling value proposition
- Viable regulatory approval and reimbursement strategy, if applicable
- Market able to sustain $50 million/yr revenues within 5 yrs of market entry
- Logical mechanism for transferring key know-how and IP
- Investment required for exit is in the $1s or $10s of millions, not $100s
- Business capable of generating venture scale returns (5-10x return on invested capital)
- Founders with key skills & experience committed to venture success
Don’t worry if you don’t know if you meet all the criteria laid out above. We will help you more fully assess the merits of your opportunity and connect you with the resources you need to progress your venture. Please reach out to us if you’re considering raising seed capital.
New Venture Concept
- What existing problem/condition does your solution address and how is it addressed today/what is the standard of care?
- Describe how this technology will be applied to create a product or service?
- What makes your product/service unique and why might customers/patients buy or use it?
- Who are the potential users/customers and buyers/payers for this, and how big is the market opportunity?
Technology and Intellectual Property (IP)
- What is the technology at the core of this venture?
- What is the background of the invention/discovery and who are the principal investigators/developers?
- What supporting data/evidence do you have that your invention/discovery works as claimed
- What IP protection exists (provisional patents, patents, copyright, know-how, trade secrets, etc.) if any?
- What are the potential sources of revenue for your venture (what is your business model) and which do you intend to pursue first?
- How can you scale this into a large business (what is your sales & marketing strategy)?
- Who/what are the existing and potential competitive alternatives to your solution?
- What is your sustainable competitive advantage/barriers to entry?
Regulatory Pathways (if applicable)
- Describe the potential regulatory pathways (510K, PMA, OTC product, etc.) and any predicate devices if applicable.
- Outline key clinical studies required to get regulatory approval.
- What are the current team’s qualifications for executing your plan?
- What are the key skills and areas of expertise you need to add to the team?