The NYU Entrepreneurial Institute and Greenhouse have kicked off the third semester of the NYU Prototyping Fund, awarding grants of up to $500 to 10 teams of students from around the university to help them build hardware and software prototypes.
For the third semester in a row, we received a record number of applications for the awards. This semester, 53 teams applied, comprised of over 120 students representing 10 NYU schools. Of the 10 teams chosen, 7 are collaborations between students from two or more schools. The quality of the applications continues to rise as well, which made the selection process this semester harder than ever.
As in past semesters, the selected teams not only receive money, but also training on prototyping best practices and access to equipment and tools to help with the prototyping process. Chris Milne from IDEO again joined us to conduct a workshop to help educate fund recipients on what prototyping is, why it is important, and what makes a good prototype. With the opening of the Leslie eLab this year, all NYU students also have access to new prototyping tools and supplies at the Leslie eLab’s Prototyping space, as well as to some talented NYU alumni who are on staff at the Leslie eLab to help assist students with their prototyping projects.
If you missed out on this semester’s awards, don’t worry, we’ll be offering the grants again in the spring. Stay in the loop about this and other programs and events by signing up for our newsletter.
Congratulations to the following teams for being selected for the Fall 2014 NYU Prototyping Fund awards!
- Fine Motor Tech: Salem Al-Mansoori (ITP); Diana Freed (ITP); Michelle Penso (Steinhardt); Michael Ricca (ITP)
- me: Songee Hahn (ITP); Dalit Shalon (ITP); Abhishek Singh (ITP)
- HydrOne: Maryam Allehbi (Stern); Charlotte Baranne (Stern); Anmar El-Khalil (Stern)
- InVisix: Alexander Dillon (Med); Anmar El-Khalil (Stern)
- Lovoy: Luna Chen (ITP); Robert Lee (Stern); Roger Oliveira (Engineering); Xiaoyi Yuan (CAS)
- MRI-Compatible Spirometer: Li Feng (Med); Andrew Lynch (Engineering)
- Neuromuscular Rehab Biosensor: John Henry (Engineering); Jay Kumar (Engineering); Khanak Nangia (Engineering); Gabe Peyser (Stern)
- Nikola: Daniel Basner (CAS); Robert Gardner (CAS); Adam Jackrel (CAS)
- Sensory Soles: Claire Bradley (Stern); Ayanna Seals (Engineering); Ting-yun Yeh (Stern)
- Yorrick: Marcus Cimino (Med, Stern); Manavjeet Sidhu (Med, Stern)
See the winners of last semester’s awards here.